Have you heard of mycotoxins?
I had not, despite all the health research I do, until a good friend told me about them.
You see, she had always been the woman who could do anything. She ran her own business, had two children that she took to and from school each day and never missed a soccer or basketball game — and still worked out five days a week.
But that all changed.
First, she started experiencing migraines, then heart palpitations and pretty soon, if there was a sickness going around, she got it.
She stopped working out, started missing more and more of her kids’ activities and had a hard time getting out of bed most days.
She went to doctor after doctor who were zero help, and she was frankly starting to believe that her life was over.
Then she was referred to a doctor who specialized in treating patients who other doctors had given up on. The very first day she saw him, he told her that he suspected that she was suffering from mycotoxin exposure — something she had never heard of. He said if that was the case, he could help and she would get better.
She finally had hope.
Sure enough, testing showed he was right. Although recovery wasn’t easy, 18 months after that first visit she felt like her old self again.
If you’re experiencing any of those same issues, here’s what you should know about mycotoxin exposure, what it could be doing to your health and how you can fix it.
What are mycotoxins?
Put simply, mycotoxins are toxic compounds that are made by mold.
So, if you have had water damage in your home and mold has built up, those toxins can be floating around in the air you breathe, lurking on the couch where you sit and the bed where you sleep.
Despite the naysayers in the medical community, an international team of scientists led by researchers at the Friedrich Schiller University (Germany) have now conclusively proven that mycotoxins can literally destroy your immune system.
Once that happens, the toxins can invade your tissues and organs and things get worse from there.
Some of the symptoms reported by patients with mycotoxin exposure include:
• Stomach pain and bloating
• Shortness of breath
• Difficulty concentrating and memory problems
• Joint pain
But, of course, not everyone who is exposed to the toxins experiences the same symptoms. As my friend’s doctor explained to her, some people are more susceptible than others — he called them “canaries in a coalmine.”
So, you could live in the same house with your husband and kids and be the only one affected for reasons that aren’t completely understood yet including age, sex, health, genetics, vitamin deficiencies and more.
How to fight mycotoxins
Luckily, there is good news…
Mycotoxin exposure is a real thing and the health problems you’ve been experiencing aren’t in your head.
If you suspect that your issues are due to mycotoxins here’s what to do:
#1 — Get tested
You’ll want to see a doctor who specializes in mycotoxin treatment (and doesn’t pretend it’s not important) and get tested. Although your insurance may not pay, there is a urine test to see if mycotoxins are being held in your liver.
#2 — Detox
Since your liver is responsible for helping you clear out every dangerous substance that enters your body, it’s important to help it function well to get rid of mycotoxins.
It offers turmeric to decrease liver inflammation, milk thistle and Schisandra to improve its function, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and selenium to promote detoxification and alpha lipoic acid to prevent fat accumulation in the organ that could impair its processes.
#3 — Boost your glutathione
Eating foods to boost glutathione (your body’s master antioxidant) is vital in supporting the detoxification process. That includes cruciferous vegetables like kale, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
#4 — Avoid exposure
Of course, none of this will work if you’re mycotoxin exposure continues. I suggest hiring a mold testing company to come to your house and check your air quality. They can tell you where problem areas are and suggest ways to get rid of the mold and stop your exposure.
Mycotoxin exposure is a real and present danger. If you suspect mycotoxins in your health concerns, get tested, avoid continued exposure.